Welcome to my blog where I share my book reviews
and life along the winding road

Friday, March 10, 2017

Little Country Girl by Susan Coolidge

Susan Coolidge is the pen name for Sarah Chauncy Woolsey and her well known What Katy Did books have been popular since they were first published in 1872 - I remember enjoying them as a young girl. While looking through the free for Kindle Amazon books I came across A Little Country Girl set in 1885 Newport, Rhode Island.

A Little Country Girl is about an orphan who is sent to live with her mother's cousin who was spending the summer with her family in Newport. We see the Newport rich through the eyes of a young girl, Candace, brought up in the country with neither fine clothes nor servants. She is a little reminiscent of Anne of Green Gables with her positive attitude and excitement with everything - a delightful read.


The audio book is available on You Tube